Oversight of Prison Operations: An Interactive Masterclass
June 22 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
A health care scandal in your state’s prison system has been brought to your attention. What do you do? As a legislator, what resources are at your disposal to gather information and address this problem? The Levin Center’s State Oversight Academy is hosting a virtual, interactive masterclass on June 22nd to give you the tools you need to successfully navigate a corrections oversight investigation.
This masterclass will first introduce the avenues of oversight necessary to address during your investigation. Then, you will be given a scenario that will require you to investigate a health care scandal in the prison system. After receiving reports from auditors, ombudspersons, and other experts, you will separate into committees comprised of state legislative oversight leaders from across the country to determine your course of action! The experts will rotate to answer questions and provide further assistance as your investigation planning continues. Finally, your committee will present your plan to the whole group. Following the class, State Oversight Academy experts will send your committee individual comments on your plan to ensure that you will be ready to tackle corrections oversight when issues arise in your state.
- Ben Eikey – State Training & Development Manager, Levin Center for Oversight and Democracy
- Kade Minchey, Utah Legislative Auditor General
- Keith Barber, Michigan Legislative Corrections Ombudsman
- Amarik K. Singh, California Inspector General
- Jim Townsend – Director, Levin Center for Oversight and Democracy
- Kyle Goedert – Research & Communications Specialist, Levin Center for Oversight and Democracy